Todays Post is an image from Leigh on Sea, Essex, UK. At low tide many photographers can be seen wading through the mud flats taking images of the many boats found there.
The town of Leigh-on-Sea is situated on the northern side of the estuary of the river Thames, a few kilometers from the open waters of the North Sea to the east.
Leigh-on-Sea appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Legra, A 15th-century church, dedicated to St. Clement, was built on the clifftop, its fabric containing Roman tile.
The fishing and boat-building settlement of ‘Old Leigh’ was on the main shipping route to London and as a result Leigh-on-Sea grew to a prosperous port by the 16th century, but by the 18th century, ships had become larger and Leigh’s deep water channel silted up and the town diminished in importance.
Reduced once more to a fishing village and servicing the London markets via the Thames and by road. The main seafood catch from Leigh Old Town has always been shell-fish and whitebait.
The public houses and sea front are well worth a visit.